Re: apt .v. aptitude (was Re: how to remove exim4 without removing mysql-server?)

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 01:31, Brian Nelson wrote:

> I don't promote aptitude in particular; I just discourage the use of
> apt-get, especially for newbies.  I don't think aptitude is a
> particularly good choice for newbies since its interface can be as
> vexing as dselect's at times.  Still, it's better than apt-get.

Yes, most tasks use the one command 'aptitude' - including purge, search
and show. There is no need for other commands eg with apt-get you also
need apt-cache, etc.

I think that synaptic is a better choice for newbies using X. It is easy
to find your way around the gui. It has a lot of extra functionality
including editing sources.list, search filtering, browsing documentation
(related man pages, info files and other docs in a web browser) and
debconf configuration front end.

Chris.
--
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>