Re: Firewall on DSL router - good enough?

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2004 Nov 16 06:35 -0600]:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 12:39 +1100,
> Davor_Balder/FOAMS/PACBRANDS/PACDUN@pacbrands.com.au wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have recently acquired a router/dsl modem with built-in firewall
> > (according to manufacturers technical documentation) and am planning to use
> > it with my Debian box.
> >
> > I have noticed there is a firewall built in as well as NAT and a few other
> > bits and pieces.
> >
> > Google search revealed there are quite a few manufacturers that offer DSL
> > modems/routers with firewall protocols built in.
> >
> > >From a practical point of view, how good are these and should I consider
> > rolling my own firewall?
>
> One benefit of a router-based f/w is that it's small and *silent*,
> unlike a PC-based f/w, which has, at minimum a PS fan, and possibly
> a CPU fan and HDD.

The router FW is always another layer of defense.  I don't rely on it
totally and it keeps a lot of crud off my home network.  Even a dialup
connection gets its share of unwanted traffic.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"