Re: Migrating from qmail: which MTA?

On Sunday 14 November 2004 16:40, David Garamond wrote:
> David Garamond wrote:
> > We are planning to migrate a bunch of hosting servers from RH73 +
> > qmail + vmailmgr to Sarge and I'd appreciate on the comments of the
> > choice of MTA to use.
>
> Oh, I should add that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to other
> MTAs. I've used qmail ever since I've used Linux (around RH5-RH6).
> I'm not even familiar with Sendmail. Most of my friends are pushing
> for Postfix, but I see that Debian's default is exim, and I myself
> have been using courier-imap so currently I'm thinking courier would
> be the easiest migration route.

I have been using the Courier Mail Server Suite (usually with MySQL as
backend to store mail users) for about two years now on various mail
servers, and I have been very pleased with it.

It is feature rich and actively developed with an active community that
seems to grow every day. Also, I like the idea of having smtpd, imapd,
popd, mailing list manager and mail filtering[1] provided by the same
developer(s).

Also, Stefan Hornburg does a good job maintaining the Courier packages
in Debian. Integration with spamassassin is trivial, however,
integration amavisd-new is not (small patch by Martin Orr is required).
Not a big problem, but maybe worth mentioning.

[1] I like the maildrop syntax much more than that of procmail. maildrop
is much easier to work with, IMO.
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare