Re: Will Debian grow and stay?

> 1. The volunteers decided that there should be some financial reward for
> their work. They could accept an offer by a well established enterprise to
> 'buy' over their work or they could collectively decide to form a
> corporation.

This can't happen on most packages (the exception is "non-free"
packages), due to the nature of the GPL. I suggest reading:
http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/copyleft.html

> 2. Volunteers dwindle to an ineffective few, preferring to spend their time
> on work with more reward and recognition.

Unlikely. Debian seems to have enough momentum behind it, such that it
would not disappear without a pretty major fore-warning. Right now, I
can't think of any operating system that is more likely to stay than
Debian is. Even with Microsoft Windows, it is possible (although
unlikely) for Microsoft to go broke, or just stop supporting Windows.
With Debian, the source code is out there, so nothing can prevent
people from supporting it, and Debian is an organisation of
volunteers, and cannot go away due to financial matters. Anyone around
the world always has the freedom to work on Debian.