Re: linux-wlan-ng on kernel 2.6?

Friedemann Schorer wrote:

> HI :-)
> Recently I bought me an USB WLAN device which was reported to work under
> Linux - now I found out that it contains a prism2 chipset and needs
> linux-wlan-ng to work properly. OK, I thought and installed
> linux-wlan-ng-doc. Alas, although I followed the instrutions
> in /usr/share/doc/linux-wlna-ng/README.Debian.gz, the build fails
> continually :-/ Log is attached.
> Although support for 2.6 kernel is 'experimental' there are some DEBs in
> the net, but they are for 2.6.6 or 2.6.4 - not 2.6.9 like i used on my
> laptop (installed from ftp.debian.org).
> bugs.d.o. has a bugreport for failing builds on 2.6 kernels, but it has
> not been solved for > 180 days.
> Is there somenone who can help me in this?
>

>  Thanks in advance,
>

>   Friedemann

Hi Friedemann!

I had the same need several months ago.  There was no .DEB package that
worked with 2.6 kernels at that time, so I got the 0.2.1pre21 tar from
ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng, unpacked it into
/usr/src/modules/linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1pre21
and then built the modules as described in the instructions.  I am using
the 2.6.7 kernel.  Device is 802.11b prism3 USB made by Airvast.

I am a bungler and it took a while to get things working, but it does work
for my setup anyway.  There is a pre23 version at linux-wlan.org.  Perhaps
it will work for you.

Roby