automatic printer recognition

hi folks,

I am going off to a conference where I will have to print a copy of my
talk from my laptop (aging i386 debian/sid) to a friend's printer (no
idea what the printer model is & no way to find out, attached to a mac
running os X).  I would like to be able to just plug in the printer on
my USB port & print; I don't have any other reliable way of getting
data into the printer (no cd-burner, mac's have no disk drives).  But
I can't imagine that's actually possible!

Printing doesn't have to be perfect, I just have to be able to read
the text...  is there a package that can probe for printer info & set
up a new printer e.g. from CUPS or some other print queue manager?

On reflection this seems like a pretty important feature to have,
would be cool if it existed.

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User
`. `'` 	     & hemi-geek