module system documentation

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a good intro to how the OVERALL scheme of modules works in 2.6 under Debian Sarge? I.e., I'm trying to understand:

- the roles and proper use of all of the module-related files under /etc
- the mod-related programs
- how and when modules get automatically loaded
- the relationship (if any) between the module system and udev
- the relationship (if any) between the module system and hotplugging

In general, the combination of (udev, modules, and hotplugging) has me pretty confused about how devices work in 2.6(.8)

I haven't found any good documentation that's helped me understand all of these things.

Thanks,
Christian