Re: apt .v. aptitude (was Re: how to remove exim4 without removing mysql-server?)

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 16:00, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:21:54 +0000 (GMT), Thomas Adam
> <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I can see no advantages to using aptitude over apt-get.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, d-i uses aptitude (or maybe its a cut-down fork
> or something). If a user installs using the new d-i, opts for manual
> package configuration, is it impossible to avoid using aptitude?

Why avoid it? According to Osamu Aoki in the Debian Reference Manual http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-apt-install, Aptitude is now the preferred command line APT application. I have become quite used to aptitude install, aptitude remove, aptitude purge, aptitude update, aptitude dist-upgrade, etc. Usually, its just a case of putting typing aptitude where you would have typed apt-get.

I never use the ncurses interface which I do not find user-friendly.
--
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>