Re: Java

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 10:12, Tom Allison wrote:
> I'm trying to get Java running with the firefox browser.
>
> I can't seem to find anything under the blackdown packages that will
> actually work.  Seems there are some gcc version problems.
>
> I also am not sure what I'm supposed to do with Sun's packages.
> Too bad they don't have enough sense to put deb's out there.
>

> How do I get java working?
>
> All I really need are Applets since I don't have any real java
> applications running today.  But in the long run, I would prefer to have
> something with is .deb compatible and full JRE capable.

The first thing you need to do is get the latest version of the JRE from
SUN. Install that as you would any binary. In the untarred directory
there should be a path similar to:

j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610

The file libjavaplugin_oji.so needs to be symlinked into your firefox
plugins directory (either in you .mozilla directory in your home dir or
in the acutal plugins directory for firefox).

I hope this all makes sense.

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).