Re: Debian and spam

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 21:32, s. keeling wrote:

> > for f in cur/*; do
> >     perl adcomplain.pl < $f
> ......^^^^
> > done
>
> You can fix that with chmod:
>
>   chmod 744 adcomplain.pl

Already done. No, the reason I need to specify perl is that the first
line of adcomplain.pl is a shell hash-bang

#!/bin/sh -- # -*- perl -*-

and bash does not like it:

~/spam$ ./adcomplain.pl --help
: invalid option- perl -*-

even though the perl.com documentation at
http://gershwin.ens.fr/vdaniel/Doc-Locale/Outils-Gnu-Linux/Perl/Html-Doc-at-www.perl.com/perlrun.html suggests that it should be OK:

<quote>
Parsing of the #! switches starts wherever ``perl'' is mentioned in the
line. The sequences ``-*'' and ``- '' are specifically ignored so that
you could, if you were so inclined, say

    #!/bin/sh -- # -*- perl -*- -p
</quote>

> and move adcomplain.pl to one of the dirs in your PATH.  You may need
> to "rehash" for it to take effect, depending on the shell you use.
According to Google, rehash is a Linux/Unix command; but I cannot find
it on my system. Perhaps it has been deprecated?

> ... Assuming adcomplain.pl is smart enough to recognize forged sender
> addresses.  If it's not smart enough, you'll end up reporting
> forgeries to the ISPs of innocent bystanders.  I don't know if
> adcomplain is smart enough; don't know, never used it.  Spamcop isn't
> tricked by forgeries.

Adcomplain should be smart enough. It uses the mail forwarding service
at abuse.net. (You have to register first.) So if rr.com is the problem,
Adcomplain sends the email to rr.com@abuse.net. This ensures that the
best known complaint address is used.

> If adcomplain is smart enough, then it has one advantage over
> Spamcop.  You can report viruses, which Spamcop doesn't allow.
I am not sure that Adcomplain can do this.

If you are outside the USA, you can use the -l switch to avoid cc-ing
uce\@ftc.gov.