Re: installing nvidia drivers - kernel-headers problem

Hello

Bram Mertens (<bram-mertens@linux.be>) wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 08:45, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> [...]
>> You should get both packages for the same architecture, otherwise you
>> will have problems building or loading the module. Install
>> kernel-image-2.6-686 and kernel-headers-2.6-686. They should depend
>> on the latest version. m-a should be able to get the headers
>> automatically once you upgraded to a newer kernel.
>
> Thanks for your help, before I try this I would like to make sure that
> I don't forget anything.
>
> All I have to do to install the latest 2.6 kernel is:
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686 kernel-headers-2.6-686

This packages depend on the latest versions (currently kernel-{image
headers}-2.6.8-9 in Sarge).

> Do I need to modigy grub in any way so it will let me boot this and
> the current kernel?  (like lilo does)

dpkg will run update-grub. That is all that needs to be done. Your old
kernel will not be removed.

> Should I install the kernel-doc-2.6.8 and kernel-source-2.6.8 as well?

Only if you think you need them. You should not need the source to build
the drivers - the headers should be sufficient.

> I tried what Andrew suggested but module-assistant -v prepare nvidia
> gives:
> E: Couldn't find package kernel-headers-2.6.6-1-386

The kernel and headers packages you use/need have been replaced by newer
versione of the kernel (2.6.8). Get the latest version.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976