Re: Will Debian grow and stay?

ken keanon wrote:

Hi,
I',m impress. The responses to 'why debian' show that it has won some strong converts and it is supported by some staunch loyalists. I need to know more. There was mention about "never for profit", "protected non-profit". It is compared to US democracy and monasteries in medieval England. My picture of the Debian organisation as gathered from the responses is as follows. I'm ready to be corrected. Debian GNU/Linux is a version of Linux developed freely by volunteers. These voluntary developers are organised as a hierarchical organisation with leader(s) at the top. Questions. A big project like this will definitely incur expenses. Do volunteers contribute financially too? If that is the case, in my opinion, Debian could disappear in two possible ways. 1. The volunteers decided that there should be some financial reward for their work. They could accept an offer by a well established enterprise to 'buy' over their work or they could collectively decide to form a corporation. 2. Volunteers dwindle to an ineffective few, preferring to spend their time on work with more reward and recognition. What is the geographical spread of the Debian organisation, is it US-centric? Are the developers mostly US-based? Right now, under the initiative of Oracle, there are companies in China, Japan and S. Korea coming together to develop another version of Linux called Asianux. This may start a new trend of 'regional Linux'. I roughly know that the US and non-US version got to do with encryption. But what is the restriction? People in US or outside US can download either version, right?

I'm not a Debian developer - my experience is within the Apache software foundation. However, much will be the same.

I don't know how Debian finances its infrastructure (a number of servers). I'm impressed with the performance it offers, esp given people download entire operating systems, and many won't change their sources.list file to point to a mirror. I'd be curious to know how it is funded.

As to financial reward, you will find that many developers and maintainers, esp those of core packages like Apache, etc, will actually be employed because of their Debian involvement, especially to do Debian development. However, they will be employed by enterprises that use Debian, not by Debian itself. So they get the financial reward, just not directly from the Debian organisation. I've seen this work in a number of places. Now, there's a risk here. Those employers could change OS, and Debian could loose a lot of paid time. However, Debian would have to get real bad - imagine an ISP with 1000 installed servers. How willing would you be to convert all those to RedHat or Suse?

Volunteers could dwindle, but in my view, as an outsider, working for Debian does give recognition, and has its rewards, and this isn't going to change. So long as you recognise that there is a mentality behind many developers that is driven by technical rewards, and even philosophical, not by financial ones. This 'aint gonna change.

That's my thoughts.

Regards, Upayavira