Re: why debian - longer

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 08:24:14PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> it's trivial to  make dep ; make bzlilo ; update lilo/grub
> and straight forward ..
> 	- too many extra hoops for the debian way ...
> 	- too many kernel module problems in the debian kernel

Too many extra hoops?

$ fakeroot make-kpkg -rev `hostname`.1 kernel_image
$ sudo dpkg -i ../kernel-image....deb
  update lilo/grub [if needed]

And the cool benefit of this is that you can save the kernel image .deb
off incase you ever need to rebuild the system.

What kernel module problems exist in the debian kernel?  You mean from
modules I build using make-kpkg or the stock debian kernels?

> what is NOT trivial for the users that has never built a kernel is what
> is the list of hardware ...

This isn't unique to debian, but to all of linux.  Debian provides the
stock kernels for those who don't want to build their own.

Either way, you have to figure out what modules to include, either
building them into your own kernel, or loading them as modules in a
stock kernel.

Jeremy