Fw: am i seeing double?

I'll answer it myself: "hyper threading"! :)
----- Original Message ----- From: "linux" <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 5:14 PM
Subject: smp: am i seeing double?

A quick question about hardware. I'm 99% sure my box has 2 Xeon processors in it. I had installed the sarge kernel then got the
   kernel-image-2.4.27-1-686-smp_2.4.27-1.backports.org.1_i386.deb
package and installed smoothly using `dpkg -i <kernel-image... .deb>`, rebooted into that kernel. I now seem to be seeing 4 (four!) processors eg as reported by `top`, `cat /proc/cpulist` and in the /var/log/messages file. (Aside: with the uni-processor kernel, `top` only reported 1Gb memory but the smp kernel, correctly, reports the 2Gb memory

I've just rebooted to WinXP and the SystemProperties implies there's 2 processors on the 'General' tab, but lists 4 on the Hardware->DeviceManager->Processors tab and indeed the TaskManager also implies there's 4 CPUs.

Any ideas what's going on?

Cheers, Michael