Re: network install over nVidia nForce 3 ethernet interface

Alexandru Cabuz wrote:
Hello,

My question concerns the correct course of action when installing
Sarge on a computer whose only way to connect to the internet is
through an nVidia nForce 3 ethernet interface which needs the driver
provided by nVidia at

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_amd64_1.0-0292

I don't think you need that driver.

without having to burn 14 CDs.

The first CD is more than sufficient to install a base system.

<snip>
I have tried to install a basic system and then worry about the driver
later, but the installation didn't work. I set up the partitions,
everything going smooth, until reboot. After reboot I got flooded with
messages like

nv_sata : Primary device mounted
nv_sata : Primary device mounted
nv_sata : Secondary device mounted
nv_sata : Secondary device mounted
nv_sata : Secondary device unmounted
nv_sata : Secondary device unmounted
nv_sata : Primary device unmounted
nv_sata : Primary device unmounted

Or maybe it was "loaded" instead of "mounted"... I forgot. Anyway,
something like that.

This appears to be a known bug in the driver.  This message
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/10/msg00002.html> suggests a solution.

<snip>
Should I just try another build of the netinstall CD or (and this
would really be sweet) is there any way to get a hold of a netinstall
CD with the forcedeth driver corresponding to the particular kernel ON
IT already...?

forcedeth has been part of the standard kernel since versions 2.4.26 and 2.6.5.

A man can dream can't he?

Oh by the way, in the meantime, grub and the master boot sector got
all messed up somewhere along the way, and so I can't even boot into
my windows partition I had installed for recovery purposes... :-) now
I lost my windows partition too.

Great.

If you have a drive larger than 137 GB (128 GiB) then you must use a 2.6 kernel to avoid disk addresses wrapping around beyond that point.

Ben.