Re: Install Report: MSI K8N Neo Platinum / Athlon 64 3200+ / Serial ATA

On Fri 01 Oct 2004, Nathan Walp wrote:

> In the 2.6.8 kernel, there is a bug in the sata_nv driver, which is the
> one used for the Serial ATA controller on this board.  To call it
> verbose is an understatement.  The following is what gets dumped to the
> console every time there is any disk activity (including the periodic
> ext3 journal syncs):
>
> nv_sata: Primary device added
> nv_sata: Primary device removed
> nv_sata: Secondary device added
> nv_sata: Secondary device removed
>
> That gets printed about 3 or 4 times on every access.  As you can
> imagine, this makes using the installer a bit difficult.  Luckily I was
> able to get the install far enough along to get a barebones system,
> install SSH, and complete the setup on my laptop enough to compile my
> own kernel.

To get rid of these messages just disable the SATA channels you're not
using in the bios.  I've just installed Ubuntu linux (based on Debian) from CD and got the same thing.  Someone on nforcershq pointed this out to me when I posted the same question there.

See http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=422775#422775

Best wishes,

Patrick