RE: The debian-mirror script suite

"Gilbert, Joseph" <jgilbert@insuresuite.com> writes:

> On my initial look, things looked good.  You mention an issue under
> debian-mirror about the fact that it stores everything from all the
> different package sections in to one and not understanding it.  Here is a
> link to the page that provides the basic information on it:
>
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
>
> I am guessing you are outside of the US so I think you are fine on this as
> well as anyone using this script would be.  As far as within the US is
> concerned, I think the ramifications would vary from package to package and
> from license agreement to license agreement.  However, this would probably
> be most useful to admins who wanted to do farm updates on a site without
> having each machine have to download the packages each time from the WAN.
> This would actually be very useful to me.

Hey Gilbert, you actually resolved the issue, thank you for that! It's
obvious that I didn't spend a second trying to find answers to my
questions. :( Yes, it's all pretty simple in fact. I'm outside of the
US, non-US packages are obtained from the non-US site, so everything
is fine. The above URL doesn't say anything about reimporting all
those stuff back to US, so I think we're fine.

About usefulness, I'm pretty sure there are many other packages out
there that allow you to mirror Debian or part of it. It's just that
this one is quite different and has some philosophy behind it (that I
tried to explain on the web page). Anyway, if you need any help, just
ask, I'll be glad if I can help with anything. I had the other guy
that had problems with the firewall, and we solved them quickly.

> Further research would have to be done to determine if having a local
> repository for local only distribution caused any problems with any of these
> packages but I think you would have about the same sort of liability as you
> have if you are running the software anyways.  I don't know a lot about all
> of these legal issues.

Yes, this seems like the only clever explanation, too. Otherwise even
non-us.debian.org sites would be in a breach of some licence or
whatnot, right? IANAL, too, but you actually managed to explained all
those issues very concisely and I think you're right in all of your
observations. At least, that's what my common sense says to me. :)

Thank you for comment! I'll see if I can change content on the web
page to better reflect the situation.

Regards,
--
Zlatko