Re: perhaps off-topic: mailserver requirements? (was: Re: experiences with Debian Alpha)

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 00:26 -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Steven Jones:
> >
> > I want to build a hi-speed sendmail/postfix gateway with clamav if I
>
> That's an interesting point.  Long ago and far away, it used to be a
> given that any old x86 box with a big enough disk would be more than
> enough to handle just about anything a mailserver needed to do.
>
> Today, however, what with iptables, Spamassassin, clamav, high speed
> connectivity, %60 - %85 of traffic being Spam, etc., etc., yadayada,
> what does it take to handle mail nowadays?  Assume a small to small++
> operation (to 150 users).

What's the mail volume?

Also, spamc 3.0 can be kinda slow (or mine isn't tuned that well).
Especially with Baysean filters turned on.

That seems to indicate CPU and RAM would trump HDD space.

Will it also be an IMAP server (which would add an even larger
burden), or just a POP server?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B