Re: playing cds

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 22:59:49 -0600, Chad Davis wrote:

> So the conclusion to this is it's a alsa bug that I can not play audio
> cds?

I don't think anything was concluded either way.  (I was being pedantic
about some CMI chip not being a VIA chip. We concluded, I think, two or
three of us, that we don't like on-board audio due to the quality of the
sound.)

> It seems I have all my audio volumes up, still no audio.

See the questions (and excuse) below.

> The audio cable is connected (as it works fine in windows(tm)).

This is good information.

> I have tried various cd players...

I've lost the original article(s) and I'm not an expert at Linux audio but:

* What kernel version are you using?  Debian package or custom built?
* What is the output of 'lsmod' with emphasis on sound-like modules?
* Do use use GNOME or KDE?  Something else?  No X-GUI at all?
* Which CD-player applications have you tried?