Re: playing cds

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 04:05:10 -0600, Chad Davis <mindphasr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I too have not been able to play audio cds with alsa.  I have not
> tried with OSS however.
>
> My sound card is:
> 0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

I've one of this, it's quality is abysmal low, IMHO the the culprit is the
C-Media Electronics CMI9739, for example the CMI9739 has no PCM volume
control, you can have only on/off, the volume need to be changed via
software by the driver, and IIRC the frequency is 48 KHz fixed and
need to be scaled by software. I'm using ALSA, don't recall using OSS
with this one, YMMV.

I've found that the "Surround" level, as showed on Gnome Volume
Control, control the CD volume, so go figure...

Andrea