Re: Ext3 file system crash

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Justin Guerin wrote:
> I would recommend installing smartmontools and checking the health of your
> hard drive.  This many errors suggests hardware problems.  You should not
> need to check your drives once a day.

Also, install memtest86+ (packages in sarge and sid, and also easily
downloadable to run from a boot floppy, search for it in google) and run it
overnight to make sure you are not experiencing memory errors (which would
corrupt the filesystem).

If it is not bad memory, make sure the cabling to the disk (both power AND
data) is not bad (the only easy way to do this test is to replace the cables
with another data cable and plug the disk to another power cord).

To find out if you have IO problems, run this (replace hd# with the physical
device that is giving you problems):

  dd if=/dev/hd# of=/dev/null bs=1M

as root.  It will try to read all sectors of the HD (and write them to
/dev/null, i.e. do nothing).

Afterwards, check the kernel logs (dmesg command, or look at
/var/log/kern.log) for IO errors.

If it is not bad cabling, get all the data off that disk at once and declare
it a paper weight.  Disk problems snowball quicky and quite soon you won't
be able to salvage anything from that drive...

  Henrique Holschuh