Re: Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 18:33 +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Following my upgrading to linux 2.6.7 I have been unable to burn a CD.  This
> is still true now, even as root, with kernel 2.6.9, having also tried 2.6.8
>
> I know there was a lot of fuss with cdrecord and 2.6.8, but my problems seem
> to predate that.
>
> What happens, when I try to do any simple command is that one of the child
> processes of cdrecord seems to be stuck in the D state in the kernel.  That
> is, its done an uninterrruptable IO request which has not been detected as
> completed by the kernel driver (ide-cd?).  This means you can't kill the
> process (even with kill -9) and the only way to get rid of it is with a
> reboot.  (there was a recent discussion on processes getting into this state
> on the kernel mailing list).
>
> Just so everyone is clear of the situation, the second IDE channel has two
> cdrom like drives.  /dev/hdc is the cdrw device which I am trying to use to
> burn, /dev/hdd is a dvd device.
>
> I used the simple command
>
> cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 blank=fast
>
> and (with a Rewriteable CD in the drive) it then preceeds to hang.

Works for me.

mkisofs -v -L -max-iso9660-filenames -R -relaxed-filenames ${dest} | \
    cdrecord -v -speed=8 -multi -dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -

# uname -r
2.6.8

# mkisofs --version
mkisofs 2.01a34-unofficial-iconv (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

# cdrecord --version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 \
   Jörg Schilling

# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep IDECD
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant