Re: how to debug a random freezing problem?

Adam Butler wrote:
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu[1] (Debian w/ 2.6.8 kernel) on my Toshiba Satellite M30 Centrino laptop last week, and it's great, apart from the fact that the computer freezes up randomly. From what I can see, there is *no* pattern, but it usually takes about 3 hours' use, and then suddenly stops.

The only thing that responds is the little green light that comes on when I press the 'Fn' button - no CapsLock light. I just have to hit the power button.

I thought it might be something to do with overheating - if I use the laptop a lot, it seems to happen more often. I wrote a little script to find out the temperature in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature when it freezes, and it's usually around 66C, which is actually OK, isn't it?

So install lm-sensors. What does it say the CPU max temp is? With my via686-a chip and the Athlon 850Mhz CPU it says the threshold is 60C. I usually run at about 40C. If it is hot and I compile Mozilla it goes up to 49C. But it is not a laptop of course. I built a wm applet that shows the CPU temp (right now 36.4C) and the CPU fan speed. If that drops to 0 it stops the system.

I also tried adding noacpi nolapci to my GRUB config, but it didn't make any difference.

If anyone has *any* idea what might be causing this, or how I can home in on it, I'd be incredibly grateful - I'm trying to make the switch from Windoze, and this is just about the only thing holding me back (well, this and trying to suspend the laptop, but that's another thread... :)

thanks,
Adam

[1] http://www.ubuntulinux.org