Video card recognition

I probably should have figured out this by my self, but I have not
succeded. I'm greatful if someone have an idea what is wrong, or what the
solution might be.

It seems I havn't got Debian to recognize my videcard. Before installing
debian, my DivX movies where running smoothly, but now the movies run
staccato (stops and goes) all the time.  Besides that there is no problem
with the picture in Win.Man.

I would guess that debian isn' t using the full video memory or somethong
like that? Is there any configchanges I could do or any files/progs that
will fix it?

I have tried editing the XF86Config-4 file changing the resolution and
depth. I even tried to add a subsection containing depth = 32. The result
to all my changes: window manager wouldn't start.

Video card:  Asus V7700 (D) with 32Mb video memory. Asus.com could only
help me with driverfiles for Windows!!!

OS: Debian Sarge kernel 2.4.26-1-386

Regards,
Vegard!