Re: 'rpm --freshen': dpkg Equivalent?

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 13:06 -0500, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
>   jh> why would you just one specific package to be updated?
>
> Sorry I didn't explain more.  Here's the situation ...
>
> I have an office machine, O, and a home machine, H both using
> sarge/testing.  O has a high-speed connection to the Internet, but H
> doesn't.  After "updating" O, I copy all the .deb files in
> O:/var/cache/apt/archives to removable media and bring them home.
>
> Once home, I basically do a "dpkg -i *.deb" of the files copied from O.
> (It's actually a bit more complicated due to dependencies ...)
>
> Herein lies the problem.  There are packages I install/run on O (e.g.,
> 'mailman') that I do not want to install/run on H.  However, if I
> quickly do "dpkg -i *.deb" on H, it'll install *all* the .debs --
> including 'mailman'.
>
> Though I *could* write a script to accomplish what I want (i.e.,
> ensuring each package is present before upgrading), I thought there
> might be an easier approach via a 'dpkg' command-line option (similar
> to "rpm -F").

Why not just:
  # cp /cdrom/*deb /var/cache/apt/archives
  # apt-get update
  # apt-get upgrade

Any debs that are already in H:/var/cache/apt/archives won't be
re-downloaded.  The caveat is that any relevant packages that have
been moved into sarge in the interregnum will get downloaded.
This way is a lot simpler, though.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform
perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral
perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic
civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states
practice."
Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940