IDE not detected

My Debian testing system (2.4.27-1-386) has two SCSI hds and SCSI DVD
reader and CD burner. The only ide device is a 60GB hd in which I
installed a WinXP environment.
Linux is booting without problems, but it does not detect (discover1)
the ide controller and drive, thus making it impossibile to mount the
ntfs WinXP disk.
Before installing "testing" I had tried "stable", which did not have
this problem.
Is there something I can do, without reinstalling or recompiling, to
make Linux "notice" the presence of my IDE disk?

Thanks