Re: always ask for root password

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:12:51 +0000, Ananda Kumar Samaddar wrote:

> When I boot my custom compiled kernel (2.6.8) the system always asks for
> a root password (Ctrl-D for normal startup).

That kernel is being booted into single-user mode.

Check your boot-loader configuration file -- probably /boot/grub/menu.lst
or /etc/lilo.conf -- and see if the kernel's "single" parameter is there.
If your object is to avoid pressing Ctrl-D, remove it or make a non-single
option the default.

It is useful to have the option to boot into single-user mode; I think the
best thing to do is make sure your configuration file has both options,
with non-single as the default.