always ask for root password

Hello everyone.  I'm a long time Debian user (four and
a half years) and just successfully installed Sarge on
a new machine.  I'm just getting to grips with it but
I have an extremely annoying problem.

When I boot my custom compiled kernel (2.6.8) the
system always asks for a root password (Ctrl-D for
normal startup).  The system does boot fine though.  I
get no such message when booting the default kernel.
Obviously a kernel option is causing the problem.  The
error occurs just before entering runlevel 2.  My
question is:

Which logfile in /var/log/ should I be looking at?
The kernel messages are all fine it's obviously one of
the processes / scripts / daemons that's causing my
system to go into maintanence mode.  If I select
ctrl-d to boot the system normally it boots fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ananda Samaddar