Re: Enhancing video

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 18:57 +0100, Mark Maas wrote:

Hello All,

After tinkering with Linux for a few years now I feel i'm getting to a point that I can say: I can use Linux for everything.

Except for games... I've got good video cards, but I just can't get the quality out of them what they are capable of.

Radeon 9000 for instance. I'm getting 200.000 with glxgears. And I *know* it can be better that. XF86 is using the standard ati driver.

Get a modestly priced nVidia card, and use the nvidia driver.

That's right: MX-440 + Nvidia driver 1120.200 FPS
TNT2 - 440.800 FPS
Running 2 cards with two monitors, two kbds, two mice for two users, and 2 X servers from Sarge and the Nvidia driver.

Hugo

Plus, my screen is only doing 60Hz at 1024x768.

Does the user manual say it do better than that?

I guess what I'm asking is: Where do I read up on getting my knowledge with 3D video, etc, performance tuning, etc, etc, up to speed?