Scripting

Hi,

I've started to learn scripting in linux. But I have some troubles understandig the redirection of the streams. I tried to test whether a directory already exists using the ls command (didn't find a bether solution) and whenever ls doesn't find such a directory it writes an error to the error-stream (I think) which still occurs on the shell calling the script if I pipe the output of ls in the script to another program.

Another example I had, was when I tried to compile a latex-file in a script. How can i prevent it from writing compiling-informations to the shell which started the script?

I'm sorry if this are newbie-questions, but... I am a newbie :-). And I really have red a lot of guides, but there are so many informations out there...

Greetings...      Silvan