Re: lvm and initrd

Does the system run on LVM2 w/o a custom compiled kernel? If so, then
this comment will not be helpful. If not, then ...

As I understand it, by default the Debian mkinitrd will create an
initrd based on the current root device. So, if you're using a non-LVM2
root device to build an initrd suitable for an LVM2 based root, you
need to either (a) chroot to what will be the LVM2 root device and then
build the initrd, or (b) change the config of mkinitrd. (b) is easier,
though I haven't been able to get it to work. (I didn't actually get
(a) to work either). Here is a link I found with some generally
relevant info:

http://xtronics.com/reference/SATA-RAID-debian-for%202.6.html

For what it's worth, I was just struggling with root on RAID and I
could only get it to work by not using udev. I skirted the whole initrd
problem in this fashion:

o  Got system running w/ Debian kernel w/ root on ext3 (not raid)
o  Built my own kernel w/o an initrd; made sure everything needed for
root built in
o  Booted into root on raid
o  Re-installed Debian kernel just for fun; on install the initrd is
rebuilt, this time on the raid root device. Works fine.

Richard