[CONFUSED NEWBIE] Cron

Hi folks.

This is probably very simple stuff, but I'm thoroughly confused. I
have an "off-the-shelf" Debian installation provided by my ISP.  When
I do a ps -ef I get
(amongst other things) the following
root       195     1  0 Oct28 ?        00:00:01 /usr/sbin/cron

Now, according to the manual to have cron services I should be running
a cron daemon called crond. Lo and behold whereis returns
# whereis crond
crond:

Now, "cron" is not "crond" I apparently don't even have a "crond"
software installed.
I added a new line to crontab:
0 0 * * * root /usr/lib/cgi-bin/send_hit_count.cgi

1. send_hit_count.cgi apparently is not being executed. It works
interactively, but there are no messages that would indicate that it
was executed by cron. What do I need to do, in order to have cron
execute send_hit_count.cgi?

2. What is /usr/sbin/cron doing there? It seems to forever be in
memory, and I do occassionally receive CRON email messages with
reports, such as
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
3. Do I need to install crond?
How do I do that?

4. Should I get rid of the cron process documented above?

TIA,
Joseph