Re: Kernel 2.6.8 and usb

JohnOfArc wrote:

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:07:38 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

JohnOfArc wrote:

<snip>

Hmmm...  This looks like a group of Gigabyte mobo users all having the
same problem.  I wonder if the bug is in the usb controller Gigabyte is
using or in the kernel?  I also get some error messages related to usb
with a 2.4.27-1-k7 Debian-built kernel too.  However, once it boots all
usb devices work correctly.  The error on the 2.4 kernel during boot is
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout.  It will timeout anywhere from 4 to 10
times before everything loads properly.

My printer is an HP Deskjet 895C and my scanner is an HP 6200 C.

Oh, and about my mobo having a lan port as a firewire port, well, this
mobo was made before firewire even existed.

we're not alone...

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9324411

:-( <shrug> 2.4 works OK...

As an update to this....

I just did an apt-get upgrade this morning and a new hotplug package version was installed. I was booted into the 2.6.8 kernel at the time and decided to do an "/etc/init.d/hotplug restart". Wonder of wonders! With the new version of hotplug it restarted successfully and loaded both my printer and scanner. I thought that was great so I rebooted to see if this would work from at boot time and my system hung again. After I had to hit the manual reset switch to get out of that I couldn't restart hotplug at all after booting into the system. I figured it got corrupted because of just having to power off the system so I uninstalled it, rebooted to completely reset the system environment, reinstalled hotplug, and once again my printer and scanner are working under the 2.6.8 kernel. Sure wish I could boot up with them installed but at least I can use them with this kernel now.