Redirect console output

Is it possible to force console output (e.g. messages when new hardware
is detected, disk errors, etc) to go to a different device? Either an
xterm or, better yet, a remote ssh connection? I do a lot of hardware
troubleshooting remotely via SSH and it would be a LOT easier if I could
actually see the system messages that are being generated.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837