Re: Going from stable to testing

On Thursday 04 November 2004 09:30, Jacob Friis wrote:

> I noticed this:
> <snip
> src="http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html";>
> Note that tracking the testing distribution of Debian can have the
> side effect of delaying the installation of packages containing
> security fixes, since such packages are uploaded to unstable and only
> later migrate to testing. </snip>
>
> Is there anything to do about that?

For that reason a lot of people consider "unstable" to be more suitable
than "testing" for workstation use (i.e. not for a server, which should
be "stable").  I strongly recommend installing the apt-listbugs package
before you do any of the stable->testing->unstable upgrades.  This
"interferes" in the apt-get process by telling you about bugs in the
newer versions of packages before installing them and giving you the
opportunity to pin them until the bugs are fixed.

I'm still running a mixed testing/unstable system because of the pinned
packages, but the applications are runnable almost all the time.

HTH,
Adam