Re: number of files in directory?

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 02:24:25PM -0700, Rob Sims wrote:
> I don't agree with your time results:
(...)
> So yes, the second run was much shorter than the first, but only
> because it was second, not because it was inherently faster.  Beware
> the effects of caching when benchmarking.

Good point. In my case `find' is about two times faster in the second
run. But the `ls' line still takes more than 4 minutes, also in a
second run. The caching probably isn't working because I haven't got
enough memory or because I start doing other things on my computer as
I get bored. :) With smaller listings it does help though.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill