question about daemons

Hi List!

I got a question about triggering daemons.

I installed ibm domino server on a debian sarge. everything works fine, if I log in as the apropriate user and start the daemon.
As I need the daemon to run at startup, I wrote an init - script, which is triggered to which I linked from the needed runlevels.
When the script is triggered, I see only strange things in the log - file. If I trigger the daemon as the specified user, I get the correct messages.
So I guess, that there has something to be triggered in my script, like maybe export some environment - variables or stuff like that.

Has anybody managed to build a workaround about such problems?

TIA,
Andy