mime module in Apache

Using apache 1.3.31 on Debian 3.0 (kernel 2.6)

When I try to add the following line:

AddModule mod_mime.c

to /etc/apache/modules.conf I get an error trying to start up apache.
Running config test I get:

apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 8 of /etc/apache/modules.conf:
Cannot add module via name 'mod_mime.c': not in list of loaded modules

What do I need to do?

Also, let me explain why I am adding this module. Perhaps I'm going about it wrong. We are now hosting a Russian language web page. When you go to that page it won't start up in Russian no matter what you do on the client side. I thought there was a problem with the "charset=" line in the html file. But then I was told that the problem is that you have to enable apache to use a foreign language as a possible default language.

One thing I did was add the following text in httpd.conf for this virtual host:

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/VirtualHost/
ServerName www.VirtualHost.com
DefaultLanguage ru
LanguagePriority ru

But I also noticed the docs on Content Negotiation at: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html which led me to the idea that I need to install a mime module. Anyhow, I'm quite confused at this point and hope somebody can give me some direction.

Curtis Vaughan