Re: Newbie with modem installation problems

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:17:59 +1100, Bruce Ward <wardb@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Have been trying unsuccessfully to configure my ADSL connection with a
> Speedtouch Home modem, connected through an SMC USB connector. It is all
> working fime in Win 98 and some trial installations I did with red Hat and
> Mandrake both detected and set up the modem correctly. I would rather use
> Debian, but things just don't seem to work.
> The Mandrake setup seems to be using the Pegasus and Red Hat installations
> seemed to use the Pegasus USB drivers.
> I have installed hotplug and the pegasus drivers. Hotplug seems to be
> detecting the USB adapter OK and it lsusb shows an appropriate Ethernet
> device. It does not seem to be associating this device with the Pegasus
> drivers, and I don't have any eth0 device available.
> Anyone give me some clues on how to go about this task?

IIRC there are two ways to use Speedtouch modem, via kernel driver or
using userspace driver. For the first way, you need a recent kernel,
2.6.5 and above should be enough, for the second way there's a package
on Debian, it's called "speedtouch". You probably need some other
libraries like PPPoATM or similar, you can find them all neatly

With a 30 seconds google search i've found a couple of links: