Re: Subject=Re: cdrecord --scanbus

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 17:27 -0400, Tong wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:02:48 -0700, Eric Gaumer wrote:
>
> >> # cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
> >> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> >> Schilling
> >> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> >> cdrecord
> >>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
> >>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> >> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
> >>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> >> version.
> >>
> >> scsidev: 'ATAPI'
> >> devname: 'ATAPI'
> >> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> >> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> >> Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
> >> Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
> >> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> >> scsibus0:
> >>         0,0,0     0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'RW/DVD GCC-4480B' 'C104' Removable CD-ROM
> >>         0,1,0     1) *
> >>         0,2,0     2) *
> >>         0,3,0     3) *
> >>         0,4,0     4) *
> >>         0,5,0     5) *
> >>         0,6,0     6) *
> >>         0,7,0     7) *
> >> #
> >>
> >> In KDE, the CDROM is device /dev/hde, NOT read-only, mount point
> >> /media/cdrom0.
> >> K3B works fine.
> >>
> >> THANKS any further help.  - John
> >>

> > There you have it... use dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 in your cdrecord command.
>
> About this ATAPI interface. Anybody can give some comment on reliability
> and speed? I read the following warning then switched to ide-scsi because
> at least ide-scsi is actively maintained. I didn't want to hung onto a
> dead-end module...
>
> > Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
> > Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.

This is just Jorg trying to make everyone believe he knows more about
kernels than Linus. The ATA interface is recommended over SCSI emulation
by kernel developers. Search the kernel mailing list archives and you'll
see pages of discussions about this. SCSI emulation is deprecated.

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>