Re: faq on choosing a debian distribution - draft 1

Incoming from Gilbert, Joseph:

> From: John Hasler [mailto:jhasler@debian.org]
> > > I do not think stable is necessarily the best if you are very
> > > concerned
> > > about security.  Packages with recent security fixes can take time to
> > > make it into stable.
>
> > Stable gets backported security fixes very promptly.
>
> Well, the version number of sendmail in stable (just one example) seems to
> be pretty old - 8.12.3.  There are known exploits (buffer overflows, etc.)

Are you sure?  apt-cache policy says 8.12.3-7.1  Perhaps the exploits
you're talking about are what the 7.1 is all about?  Check its
Changelog or run reportbug to see them.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -