Re: nv vs. nvidia - dual

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

2. I run two X servers for 2 displays, one on AGP TNT2 and one on PCI MX-440. If I restart the second server, the character sizes change, from "normal" to tiny. I can get them back to normal by restarting gdm.

how do you "restart the 2nd server" when both are using the same
nvidia driver ??

I use a patch to the kernel to have it separate keyboards by vt's and gdm to start 2 servers and in the start up:

command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X0 :0 -layout X0 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:1:0:0\" vt7

on the one that drives the AGP and

command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X1 :1 -layout X1 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:0:11:0\" vt17

that drives the PCI card and X0 and X1 symlinked to X. So I get 2 X servers driving a separate card. That -isolateDevice came with the latest Sarge X. Before we had to use a patched X to have it drive only one card.

During gdm startup he does a

/usr/X11R6/bin/X -probeonly

so Nvidia doesn't get bent out of shape and he will start himself first for X0 and then for X1.

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
#	Load  "dri"

i'd leave dri on, but i see you have it below too

	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "pex5"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "xie"
	Load  "type1"
#--------------------------------------
	Load    "freetype"
#	Load	"type1"
	Load    "xft"
#	Load	"extmod"
#	Load    "xie"
#	Load	"pex5"
#	Load    "glx"
#	Load	"dri"
#	Load    "GLcore"

guess its okay if you dont need openGL stuff

#	Load	"dbe"
#---------------------------------------
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "SAM"
	ModelName    "1057"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

///
/// where is your Monitor1 definitions
/// ================================

Good point. I forgot it? And he don't press the point?

	Identifier  "nvidia0"
	Driver      "nvidia"

good

	Identifier  "nvidia1"
	Driver      "nvidia"

good

	DefaultColorDepth 16			#Added... Colors looked off...

eliminate depth 1, depth 4, depth 8, ... anything that is not used

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     16
	EndSubSection

	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultColorDepth 16			#Added... Colors looked off...

/// is both monitors the same ??

Yes. Both Samsungs 17". But one is a 750s and the other a 753dfx.
See my query on shadows on the latter.

Hugo