Re: Question about debian install cd

David Dorward wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:12:38 +0800, Lian Liming <lianliming@realss.com> wrote:
  I just notice that the kernel version for debian install cds are
quite old, some are 2.4.X and some even older.

I'm working from memory as I don't fancy rebooting my laptop just to
check what happens if I boot from a Debian DVD, but I'm pretty sure
the option is there to use a 2.6 kernel for the install.

The boot process simply defaults to using a 2.4 kernel as they are more mature.

Those kernels are out of date.

The 2.4 series is still being actively maintained.

I should recompile the kernel to the high version after installation.

... or apt-get install a 2.6 kernel once the install is over.
Thank you for replay. Another question: when i install the debian system using the boot cd with 2.4 kernel. I find i can only choose "ext2" and "xfs" as my patition type. I prefer "ext3" and "reiserfs". So how should i do now? Patition the hard disk to ext2 or xfs when installation , then after system has been setup up, convert it to ext3 or reiserfs?
That seems not a smart way, any suggestion?