eclipse 3.0.1 install problem

I just downloaded eclipse 3.0.1 but can't get it to run. It produces a log that I've included below. I can't see anything in the download or on the eclipse site that explains how to install it and all the newsgroups or mailing lists seem to deal with developer issues.

I'm running woody. I have a working Java installation. I just downloaded eclipse to a random directory and typed ./eclipse and it died as below. Does anybody know what the problem is, or a more appropriate forum to go ask?

BTW, my purpose is to run the EPIC Perl plugin; I'm not a Java wizard :)

Thanks, Dave

!SESSION Oct 29, 2004 11:50:12.629 ---------------------------------------------eclipse.buildId=M200409161125
java.version=1.4.1
java.vendor=Blackdown Java-Linux Team
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_GB

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime Oct 29, 2004 11:50:12.630
!MESSAGE Product org.eclipse.platform.ide could not be found.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Oct 29, 2004 11:50:12.654
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: No application id has been found.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:313) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:185)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:704)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:688)