RE: WiFi

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Chris Lale wrote:

> > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net does the same thing and is free/GPL'd
> > whereas, linuxant is you have to pay or else
>
> The advantage of ndiswrapper is that it runs Ndis (Windows network
> driver API) drivers supplied by the vendors - usually on a CD included
> with the product. This means that there is a good chance that your card
> should work. I have a D-link AirPlusXtremeG DWL-G650 wifi cardbus
> adapter which works fine with ndiswrapper.

the problem with ndiswrapper based setup ( using the windoze drivers on
linux )
	- "AP(master) mode" probably will not work
	( windoze like to be clients not AP )

	- you may or may not be able to get it into "monitor mode" to
	sniff the wifi traffic

	- you may or may not have problems with "auto", adhoc, etc..

	- you may or may not have problems with WEP and wpa

	- it probably will not run as fast as it could if you used
	a linux driver instead of wrapper

	- ie.. get wifi hw that is supported by linux drivers :-)

"it works" is relative to what you want it to be doing and as long as
the ndiswrapper machine is a plain ole everyday wifi client, it should
be fine

c ya
alvin