Re: nv vs. nvidia

Eduard Bloch wrote:
#include <hallo.h>
* Jon Dowland [Thu, Oct 28 2004, 12:33:47PM]:

In case you don't need to run 3d programs, using nv will be fine for you

...provided you have a reasonably modern computer or a small
resolution display. On my AMD K6-2 450mhz, the nv driver is unbearably
slow at 1280x1024.

I don't think the CPU is your problem. Do you have a TNT-2 or older
Nvidia chip? The XVideo support for them is not complete, which means
taht watching videos becomes _very_ CPU intensive. Although, the nvidia
drivers does support XVideo at TNT-2. With modern Nvidia cards, I did
not notice any big difference except of GLX support. And the NV driver
is less buggy WRT power saving system modes.

I have 2 cards, on AGP a TNT-2 and on PCI an MX-440. Each have a monitor,keyboard and mouse. Each are run by their own X server (running the same XF86Config-4)

What is XVideo?
I find no difference playing xine with nv.
As the matter of fact xine behaves better on the TNT-2 with either nv or nvidia. On the MX-440 it complains that my system is too slow, with either nvidia or nv.

As the matter of fact the only thing the MX-440 is better at is playing glxgears, everything else is worse, regardless of nv or nvidia. Especially that rattling fan on it.

Hugo