Re: nv vs. nvidia

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi Debian!

Anybody knows what the differences are between the nv Xfree86 driver (Sarge version) and the Nvidia closed source driver (I use 6111)?

I have used both and see little difference, except that with the former I cannot get glx to work.

Thanks.

Hugo

The difference I noticed is in the XF86Config-4.conf:
1. I had to use modes to use 1280x1024, with Nvidia I don't.
2. I run two X servers for 2 displays, one on AGP TNT2 and one on PCI MX-440. If I restart the second server, the character sizes change, from "normal" to tiny. I can get them back to normal by restarting gdm.

The only errors I see:

Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved! Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!

And I think I have DRI, at least the log seems to indicate so, saying it started the driver.

The package that got me this is: x-window-system  4.3.0.dfsg.1-8
which I get from the latest Sarge.

For the rest I notice no difference in speed, but I am no gamer, except for the first race in tuxracer when I know I have glx.

Hugo