Replacing root device on a running system

Is it possible to change the root device on a running linux system?
I tried mounting a different device over the currently mounted root and it
claims to have mounted, but I still see the old system.

The idea is to give the kernel root=/dev/hda1 for example, and the in /etc/fstab
on /dev/hda1 to mount /dev/hda3 instead of hda1.

The problem is that I want to run some computer with root over nfs, but I want
the server and the other computers to use the same root file system, so that the
server will also be usable as a regular computer. This requires some playing
around with files in /etc and a few others which requires special handling on
the server's startup, which the only thing I can think about is to mount first a
minimal root file system which will setup a different mounting scheme then
with the clients.