RE: SSH/Putty password problem

Michael Sims wrote:
> I'm using PuTTY 0.53b from a Windows 2000 machine to SSH to a Debian
> Sarge server running OpenSSH 3.8.1p1-8.  The problem I am having is
> that I am only given one chance to enter my password correctly.  If I
> mistype it on the first attempt, I am prompted a second time, but the
> second attempt will fail regardless of whether I supply the right
> password or not.

For the benefit of the archives, I finally sorted this out.  I'm still not sure why,
but this problem goes away if I configure sshd not to use PAM.  Specifically, I
deleted the "UsePAM yes" line from /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and I set
"PasswordAuthentication" to yes.  Now my PuTTY connection behaves the same as it
does on all of my other servers.  FWIW...