Re: Sid: Mplayer ratio question

Curt Howland wrote:
Hi.

Running Sid, using Mplayer to view a DVD. The problem is that the video out is being scaled and I cannot stop it. This is happening with every DVD I own.

When playing back, these seem to indicate the problem. The movies are requesting 854x480, mplayer is overriding even though I have not told it to:

-----------------
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [x11] 720x480 => 854x480 Planar YV12

I've tried setting "nokeepaspect", "aspect 16:9", but what happens is that the *window* that mplayer opens is sized at 854x480, but the image remains stuck at 720x480 with two blank bands left and right taking up the remaining window. Any circles in the film become rather oval.

XINE plays the movie just fine, BTW, this seems to be purely an mplayer problem.

Any suggestions?

This is not an answer to you question, but why use Mplayer if Xine does the job? Is it purported to be better?